Have you noticed a persistent ringing sound in your ears that never seems to go away? We understand how frustrating that may be. It is annoying, but it likely makes it difficult for you to focus on conversations or sounds around you. The ringing sound probably has you turning to Google for answers to important questions, including:
- How can I relieve tinnitus quickly?
- What helps tinnitus go away naturally?
- How is tinnitus managed?
We know you want answers — and at El Dorado Hearing, we want to help you get the answers (and the treatment!) you need to treat tinnitus properly. Follow along as we share insight into the most effective treatment for tinnitus to help manage your symptoms quickly.
What Is Tinnitus?
Tinnitus is a symptom of an underlying condition that is most often related to hearing loss or an ear injury. Those suffering from tinnitus describe it as a constant ringing in the ear that they hear at all times, from conversations to sleeping at night. The ringing often fills the void of sound in the ear due to hearing loss.
Tinnitus occurs in individuals for a variety of environmental or health-related reasons, including:
- Loud noises – Both temporary and permanent tinnitus can occur from exposure to loud noises such as concerts, construction, fireworks, and more. The more frequently you’re exposed to these loud noises without proper hearing protection, the more likely you will experience permanent ringing in the ears.
- Age – Losing our hearing is a natural form of aging, and when there is a lack of sound in the ear, your body will often fill that void with a ringing sound. The older you get, the more likely you are to experience tinnitus due to natural hearing loss.
- Impacted earwax – When was the last time you had your ears professionally cleaned? Impacted earwax can irritate the eardrum and make it difficult for sound to make its way through the ear canal. As a result, the individual may experience a ringing sensation in their ear.
How to Manage Tinnitus
Now that we understand how tinnitus is caused, we can explore the most effective treatment for managing tinnitus. Although there is no cure for tinnitus, there are a few treatment methods to prevent or reduce the ringing within the ears.
Tinnitus often occurs due to a lack of sound in the ear. To prevent the ear from filling that lack of sound in the ear, you need to reintroduce sound into it. The most common (and most effective) treatment plan for managing tinnitus is wearing hearing aids.
Hearing aids work to amplify the noises around you, thus making it less likely that they will experience a ringing sensation in their ears. Although hearing aids won’t wholly correct tinnitus, they will likely make an impactful difference if tinnitus is caused by hearing loss.
While hearing aids provide much of the relief patients need, an audiologist may also recommend the following treatments for tinnitus:
- Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT) – Tinnitus Retraining Therapy helps the patient learn greater control over their response to tinnitus.
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) – MBSR trains patients to use mindfulness to embrace and control the ringing in their ears.
El Dorado Hearing Has Effective Treatments for Tinnitus
Take the first step to relief by scheduling a tinnitus evaluation with one of our skilled audiologists at El Dorado Hearing. If you or a family member is struggling with tinnitus, we can help you find a solution involving hearing aids to treat your hearing loss.
Our doctors of audiology specialize in evaluating, diagnosing, and treating tinnitus with great success. Contact us to schedule an appointment Pima Street, (520) 999-2649 or Oracle Road, (520)278-5139