Hearing loss often occurs gradually, especially when an individual is exposed to loud decibel levels frequently. Over time, as the body ages and hearing does start to decrease, the brain automatically adjusts to the lack of sound input by increasing the auditory neurons. The brain starts working harder and the brain can struggle to maintain attention. Individuals experiencing hearing loss can start to struggle socially, causing them to feel isolated.
Many people are purchasing over-the-counter hearing aids, but they aren’t working. While they may amplify the sound, they are not allowing assistance in the way the brain needs to process the sound. El Dorado Hearing specializes in creating custom hearing aids designed uniquely for each individual patient. We want our patients to have the best treatments possible to assist with hearing loss.
There is an adjustment period that occurs when you start wearing hearing aids. Your brain may need time to adjust to the new sound experience and recreate pathways to work with your new hearing aids. It needs time to rewire its neurons and learn to work with the amplification that hearing aids provide.
If your hearing aids are not functioning correctly, contact El Dorado Hearing today!
My Hearing Aids Aren’t Making a Difference
It is challenging to learn how to wear hearing aids. This is something new, and your brain will need time to adjust to hearing better. If you don’t feel hearing aids are working the way you expected, here are a few reasons why:
- You have a poor-fit hearing aid that causes discomfort. They may fall out or off.
- Your hearing hasn’t improved. If you don’t feel that you are getting the results you want from your hearing aid, call our office. The problem may be with the incorrect setting on your hearing aid or your hearing has changed.
- Don’t like the look of the hearing aid? It is easy to worry about how well you look with a hearing aid. There are a variety of styles, colors, and models available that will help you wear your hearing aid proudly. Many newer models have a color blend to match your skin and hair for a more discreet fit.
- Hearing aids make you feel self-conscious. Hearing aids, like glasses, once had a stigma surrounding them. People connected hearing loss with being too old to participate in life. This stigma is rapidly changing because we have learned quality hearing increases your vitality and social energy.
- You are wearing your hearing aids regularly. It takes time to adjust to hearing aids and if you have been experiencing hearing loss for some time, new hearing aids may be over-stimulating. However, the longer you wear them, the more quickly your brain will adjust to the support.
Find the Right Hearing Solutions with Your Audiologist
We recommend visiting an audiologist by the time you are sixty years old for a hearing test. By this age, most experts can agree patients will experience some form of hearing loss by this age. The El Dorado Hearing team has experts in hearing loss and we have the right equipment to diagnose hearing issues. Schedule a consultation with El Dorado Hearing and learn how you can finally start enjoying the benefits of hearing.
We perform a number of sound tests in our tinnitus retraining therapy studio. Our experts can identify how your brain hears and processes sound, and we can create a custom hearing solution designed to improve your hearing. In some situations, we find patients have a lot of hearing problems due to earwax buildup. Proper ear irrigation and cleaning can go a long way for patients in this situation.
If you are experiencing issues with hearing loss contact El Dorado Hearing in Tuscon, Arizona. We will help you learn to live with hearing aids so you can be social, improve your self-esteem, and feel better.
Leave a Reply